Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Any Suggestions?

This summer, I've developed a routine that I've grown to love. At least once a week, usually on my day off, I ride my bike to one of several regional parks that are 10-12 miles from home. I take a backpack with my lunch, plenty of water, my Bible, a pad of paper and sometimes a book or two. I find a picnic table in the shade, usually next to the Huron River or Lake Erie, and spend a couple of unhurried hours in study, prayer, meditation, and relaxation.

But...summer in Michigan doesn't last forever. It will be cold before I know it. I want to continue this routine in some form, but don't know how that will work in the cold weather months. Any suggestions out there? The criteria are: peaceful, relaxing atmosphere; freedom from normal interruptions; low or no cost; with bonus points if it incorporates physical exercise also.

No prize for the winning entry other than my undying gratitude.

5 comments:

Jim MacKenzie said...

Something I did for the first time this summer (I wish I had done the outside thing...) was go to a local small Bible College's library (It's associated with the Nazarene church).

I took alot of stuff and did research but you could adapt it maybe to find one somewhere around your area and do your same routine only inside... somewhere quiet...

Just a thought...

Jim MacKenzie said...

Oh, and I forgot the bonus stuff... ride your bike there!

Caren said...

Here's a suggestion: Move to the hill country in Texas and you can follow your passion year-round! And there's hills so bonus bonus points on the exercise.

Anonymous said...

My favorite local praying spot is Oakwoods on the hiking paths by the ponds, if you get some warm weather clothes you can still hike them easily in the winter.
We also have a membership to Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. The Henry Ford is a nice place to stretch your legs for a bit in January and in the middle of the afternoon it is often quite enough that you can probably find a place to sit.
Not really a great work out but beats being outside in the cold cold air!!!

Eric said...

Find a local monastery. We've got several up here in Oakland County, I'm sure you do down river too.

The Texas Hill country suggestion is a great way to go too. You can visit one of the great wineries there and read, pray, and relax while sipping a wonderful glass of Texas Iconoclast Cabernet Sauvignon from Becker's... great stuff!