Tuesday, May 08, 2007

False Selves

I'm back at another Pastors of Excellence Retreat. Yesterday, Terry Wardle talked about the "false selves" we develop in response to our wounds. They're protective personae we put on to shield ourselves from the rejection and abandonment we fear. Terry has names for his false selves, like "Poker Face" and "Solitary Man."

Today, I sat down and began naming my false selves. I'll spare you detailed descriptions, but here are the names of some of mine: Seinfeld, Mr. Know-It-All, Karma Chameleon, Super Competent Man, Ernest Empathy, and The Avoider.

Anyone else want to take a crack at naming their false selves? Or have I completely lost you on this one?

3 comments:

Briana said...

Hmmm ... "Happy Girl", "Competent One", and "The Iceberg" are a few of mine.

Just FYI, I found your blog by linking from Caren's.

Anonymous said...

Well, how about Miss I'm Fine or Miss Strong and Independant . . .

You're right, not a fun thing to do.

SteveA said...

I'm Mr. "I don't want you to know what I really think and feel because if you did you would not like me".