Saturday, October 27, 2007

Am I Missing Something Here?

The routine at lower-priced, neighborhood diners:
  1. Order food.
  2. Receive food.
  3. Waitress drops off check, usually around the time she delivers food.
  4. If dessert is ordered, waitress quickly recalculates check and returns it to table.
  5. When ready to leave, pay on the way out.
The routine at higher-priced, upscale eateries:
  1. Order food.
  2. Receive food.
  3. Finish eating, then wait 10-15 minutes for waitperson to come by.
  4. Waitperson asks if you'd like dessert. You say "No, I'd like the check."
  5. Wait 10-15 minutes for waitperson to bring check. Waitperson says, "I'll take that up for you whenever you're ready." It doesn't occur to waitperson that you may be ready NOW. Waitperson disappears before you can tell him or her that you're ready.
  6. Wait 10-15 minutes for waitperson to come for your credit card.
  7. Wait 10-15 minutes for waitperson to return with your credit card and receipt.
  8. Leave 40-60 minutes after you finished eating (and make sure to tip the waitperson 20%, because this is an upscale restaurant).
Is anyone else aggravated by this? If you like it better the upscale way, please tell me why. Maybe I'm missing something.

5 comments:

SteveA said...

We are usually ready to go when we finish eating. I try to be fast enough to hand them the credit card when they deliver the bill. That speeds them up a little.

reJoyce said...

When we were living in the UK I used to get so irritated at how long it took them to bring the check, return with the charge slip, etc. Over time though, I learned to slow down and enjoy the evening out. They considered it rude to bring it quickly - they wanted you to be able to stay as long as you wanted. And, it can be nice to tarry a bit.

Jim MacKenzie said...

I think you're just getting crotchety in your advanced age...

enjoy the moment by eating slowly, enjoying the company... remember back to when we didn't have as many good food choices and...

lay off the energy drinks, man! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that the more you pay for something, the longer it takes to get it. When I buy a hammer, I get to take it with me ($10). If I buy a washing machine ($400), I have to wait 30 minutes for someone to bring it out, because they don't start until after I pay for it and then go back to make sure they are doing what they said. If I buy a car ($20,000) I have to wait until the next day to pick it up and wait around most of the second day. If I buy a house ($100,000 plus). I don't get it for 30 to 60 days.

Anonymous said...

For me when they drop the check with the meal they are saying don't expect anything more from me.

Need a drink or napkin, good luck.