Friday, April 27, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Friday Morning

  • Recently remembered proverb: "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time...and it annoys the pig."
  • I'm fond of saying, "A successful day is one where I cross four or five items off my 'to do' list and only add seven or eight more." It occurs to me that that statement says a lot about deficiencies in my spiritual life.
  • Why is it that so many things on my "to do" list are things I don't want to do? I sometimes get real whiny about that until I remember that the cross was on Jesus' "to do" list.
  • Recent favorite song to listen to: She Walked Away by BarlowGirl.
  • I just finished a deep and meaningful conversation with a five-year-old girl. She had lost a tooth the night before Easter. The next morning, she had an Easter basket and money under her pillow. She and I are beginning to suspect that the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny are the same person.
  • I used to have a recurring nightmare where I'm in church and we're singing the song before the sermon and I realize I'm only wearing my underwear. It used to happen once every couple of months or so. But I haven't had that one in a couple of years. I wonder what that means.
  • I have a Far Side daily calendar on my desk. I especially look forward to the cartoons about hell. Like one that shows a demon ushering a short, portly, tuxedo-clad man into a room full of banjo players. "This is your room, Maestro," quips the demon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My nightmare was similar -- I was standing behind the pulpit ready to preach when suddenly, for no apparent reason, the pulpit (and my notes) goes tumbling forward off the stage.

And then there's the one about the train going into the tunnel... Oh, nevermind.

Hey -- stop by my blog to accept your award.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, must be the same dream I've had, arriving at church when I have to lead singing and am also sans pants.

bp