Friday, April 27, 2007

*Ahem* Hot Spots

Those crazy guys over at the Woods-n-Water News ("Michigan's Premier Outdoor Publication") are at it again! I've written before about the teaser headlines they put on the cover that just make you want to buy it so bad (see my post on 12/13/06, Corn-Crazed Ducks).

Well, the cover of the May issue is no exception. Consider this one: "Crappie Hot Spots." Immediately I'm thinking about the Hollywood walk of fame, where in places the stench of urine is sufficiently strong to distract one's attention from the hookers who are accosting passers-by. Now that's a crappie hot spot!

Actually, I already knew that crappie was a kind of fish, a fact learned by embarrassing myself in front of hundreds of people. When I was in high school in Nashville, Arkansas, I worked part-time as an announcer for radio station KBHC (pronounced Kye Bay Ayech Say), "The 500-watt Voice of Southwest Arkansas." One afternoon, I read the local fishing report over the air. There were all kinds of reports of crappie catches from across the region. When I finished, the phone began to ring.

"It's pronounced croppie, you dunderhead!" the callers nicely explained. Right then and there, I was in a crappie hot spot. It's the only crappie hot spot I've ever been in or ever care to be in. So, I passed on purchasing the May issue of the Woods-n-Water News.

3 comments:

Jim MacKenzie said...

Personally, I would have picked up that issue for the article entitled "Global Warming & Moose".

Anonymous said...

You'd be disappointed, Jim. It's probably just another ho-hum rehashing about flatulent mooses (meese?) releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Just like the story I read about the Moose Dropping Festival in Alaska. Turns out, they don't drop any mooses.

Steve Baggett said...

high school in Nashville, Arkansas? Did you know the family who donated Samuel's heart is in Camden, Arkansas? Camden is about 75 mile east on US-278, but I think it's over a mountain (or large hill), right?