Friday, May 19, 2006

Headlines

One of my guilty pleasures is The Onion, a satirical newspaper/web page. It sometimes crosses the line between appropriate and outrageous, but it cracks me up. I generally just read the headlines, because I find them funnier than the accompanying stories. Some recent favorites: (Just the headlines; no links. It's my blog, and if I don't read the articles, neither can you.)

Muppeteer's Right Hand In Critical Condition Following Elmo Assassination Attempt

Heroic Computer Dies To Save World From Master's Thesis

Study: Alligators Dangerous No Matter How Drunk You Are

Illegal Immigrants Returning to Mexico for American Jobs

Rotation of Earth Plunges Entire North American Continent into Darkness

Girls Gone Wild Released Back into Civilization

Detroit Sold for Scrap (Ouch!)

3 comments:

Laymond said...

I was lead to your blog by Greg KB discusing riches. as for your airplane I believe god does look at the heart and he just could have lead you to those mercy flights without you knowing it.
I wouldn't call that excessive wealth just needed tools.

Mark said...

l.e.:

No doubt that God led us to Angel Flight. But he did it in a typically "God" way. Instead of working through the minister, who was just looking for a recreational pursuit, he touched the heart of his partner, a truck driver, with a vision for compassionate ministry.

Anonymous said...

I love the Onion! Sometimes their satire hits so close to truth you have to look at the top of the page again to make sure you're not reading the NYT. The one article I will never forget is the Harry Potter one that some churches actually printed out and used as 'proof' that HP turns kids to witchcraft. Sigh.