Friday, June 16, 2006

A Parable of Grace

Last Wednesday, I was craving coffee as I headed out the door for a 9:00 a.m. physical therapy appointment. "There's a McDonald's on the way," I thought. "I have just enough time to stop and get a cup ." Then I remembered that I had spent most of my cash the day before. Driving through rush-hour traffic with one hand, I fished out my wallet to discover a lone dollar bill--not enough for even a small coffee at McDonalds.

"No problem," I reasoned. "There's an ATM right on the way. I'll whip in there and get some cash." Then I recalled that it was the day before payday and my account was running dangerously low. So, once again I pulled out my wallet while dodging the road ragers. Holding cell phone in one hand and debit card in the other, I called the number on the back of the card to get my balance, all the while doing my very best Jeff Gordon impression. Now, my bank has recently been bought by another bank, so the first message I got was, "Welcome, new Chase Bank customer. To use our automated system, you must first register and select a PIN." So, while navigating through jammed traffic, I navigated the voice-mail labyrinth to get registered and find my account balance. Great news! I had enough to make an ATM withdrawal. I was beginning to taste that coffee!

I hung up my cell phone, simultaneously arriving at the bank. But curses! The three cars ahead of me all pulled into the same bank and lined up in the ATM lane. A surge of anger welled up; how dare they block my access to the ATM with their selfish desire for money! Impatiently observing their transactions, I became the world's foremost efficiency expert. "Hey, buddy, you can grab your cash and your receipt in one smooth motion, you know. You don't have to pull your arm back into the car, then stick it back out again." "Listen, lady, everyone knows that you do not sit at the ATM while you leisurely put your cash, receipt and debit card in your purse. You pull away immediately, and stash them while you're driving. Sheesh!"

Finally, it's my turn. Applying all of my expertise, I complete my ATM transaction in record time. Back into the traffic, I again skillfully dodge the idiots on the road while adroitly putting money, receipt and debit card in my wallet. Now I'm at McDonalds. I rush in and order a small coffee (all I'll have time to consume on the short trip to therapy). The girl hands me the coffee as I jam a fresh-from-the-ATM twenty into her palm. She hands the twenty back with a smile and says, "This is Wednesday; it's free coffee day!"

I wonder how much time, effort, worry and energy I expend on things I think are important, while my Father is patiently waiting to give me all I need for free. Sheesh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Post!
No telling how many times the Lord has humbled me with a similar experience. Thank you for sharing yours.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post! So I am not the only person sitting at the ATM and judging the efficiency of the people in front of me? :-) I think to myself, "Put your money away AFTER you have pulled away." or "Are they trying to process a home loan through the ATM"? But one day, in my effort to show how ATM superior I am, I quickly put my money and receipt on the seat, pulled away, then realized my card was still sticking out of the machine! It was humbling to get out of my car, walk back to the machine, and retrieve my card.(And apologize to the lady currently sitting at the ATM.) Some expert I turned out to be.
Jill Slater

Anonymous said...

Gotta love it, the coffee was just waiting there for you all the time!!! Usually the answer is always there you just gotta take time to look (or push the button!!!)
Thanks for sharing.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Ummm, Mark? McD's takes debit cards. ::ducking::

Mark said...

Doh!