Monday, July 17, 2006

Dis-a-vowel

Several weeks ago, I posted a story about a wedding vow renewal ceremony at a local senior citizen center. Whoever made the sign describing the day's activities had used the word "vowel" when they obviously meant to use "vow." It tickled me, so I wrote a reflection on what a wedding vowel might be.

Well, it seems that a significant segment of the population doesn't know a vow from a vowel. I keep getting visitors who were referred here after googling the words "wedding vowel renewal." I checked it out and sure enough, when you enter those search terms, my blog is one of the top hits. (I wanted Meanderings to gain recognition, but I didn't have this in mind.) Most of the other hits are sites featuring folks talking quite seriously about renewing their vowels. There are even some sites advertising places that are perfect for vowel renewals. Does it trouble anyone else that apparently many brides and grooms have such poor a handle on what a vow is that they believe they're taking vowels? Conversely, what do they think is happening when someone says, "I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once was in an argument with several co-workers over how many states were in the union. They kept saying 48. From their age, they had to have been in school during Alaska and Hawaii. The worst part is that it was a Japanese company and all of my Japanese co-workers new how many there were for sure. Last but not least, when one realized there were 2 new ones she said oh yeah Guam.
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mark said...

Let me point out, before someone else does, that the person poking fun at people who get vows and vowels confused cannot seem to tell Star Wars from Star Trek or Mel Gibson from Mel Brooks. (See previous post, "How Embarrassing!"

Jim MacKenzie said...

Mark, I couldn't agree more about the person poking fun. In fact,I'm wondering if he didn't create this whole furor over vows and vowels just to have something to write about and to get more people visiting his site. Hmmmmmm...

Jim Mac

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, just wanted to let you know I set up a blog for Leanne's e-mails, I'm copying and pasting them there (she feels it's beyond her computer ability, lol), if you'd like to link it. http://hispreciouschild.blogspot.com/