Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Of Specks and Logs and Coffee Pots

The following Post-it® note recently appeared on the coffee maker in the church kitchen:

TO THE PERSONS MAKING COFFEE: IF YOU MAKE COFFEE, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TURNING OFF THE COFFEE MAKER. PLEASE REMEMBER TO IT OFF.

Being a smart aleck, I contemplated placing another note underneath it:

TO THE PERSONS PUTTING NOTES ON THE COFFEE MAKER: IF YOU WRITE NOTES, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMMUNICATING CLEARLY. PLEASE REMEMBER TO ALL THE WORDS YOU INTENDED TO SAY.

I didn't post it (well, except for here on the internet for billions of people to see). It just illustrates again how easy it is to remind others of their oversights, while minimizing our own.

P.S. - I'm not the one who left the coffee maker on. At least I'm pretty sure I didn't. I think I remembered to turn it off...didn't I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably best that you didn't leave the note, though it had to be mighty tempting!

I would be interested in your thoughts on "Simply Christian" by N.T. Wright. I've heard so much about it and I'm thinking of adding it my reading list. Perhaps you could do a review in your blog.

Jared Cramer said...

i think i may have left the coffee pot on. sorry. ;-)