Monday, September 18, 2006

On Loving Enemies

There was an op-ed piece in today's USA Today entitled "A Christian vew of war," written by Oliver "Buzz" Thomas. An excerpt:
In ancient times, particular gods were associated with particular nations. "Tribal deities," we call them. Today we know better. God is not the mascot of Republicans, Democrats, or for that matter, Americans. God transcends all national and political affiliations. His precinct is the universe.
Thomas begins the piece by referring to the "Pray for our troops" bumper stickers. I understand the sentiment behind that sticker, and it's cousin, "We support our troops." It dates back to the time of the Vietnam conflict, when those who opposed the war were hostile and often abusive toward those who served in the military. Today's anti-war activists have generally been very careful to state that they support our troops, even while they disagree with the decisions that sent them into harm's way. It may be a difficult distinction, but it's one I'm glad they are making.

I've certainly seen and heard of less charitable stickers. A contributor to Mike Cope's blog reported seeing a bumper sticker on a car that read, "Osama: God may forgive you. We will not," next to a "Jesus lives" sticker. I mentioned these in my sermon yesterday and afterward, a lady told me of a t-shirt she had seen: "Osama: it's up to God to forgive you. Our job is to arrange the meeting." Next to those, I certainly appreciate the much more gracious tone of "we support our troops" and "pray for our troops."

However, Buzz Thomas says Jesus would have gone farther: "If he had money for a car and didn't give it all away to the hookers and the homeless before he got to the used-car lot, I'm pretty sure that his bumper sticker would say 'pray for our enemies.'" Sobering thought. Even as we oppose evil in whatever ways we feel we must, Jesus reminds us to temper our fear and hostility by remembering to lift our enemies up in prayer, to love them as completely as our heavenly Father does. God has a stake in curbing the violence of evil people; but God's heart is filled with love--often, wounded love--for even the most wayward of his children. God, give me the heart to love my enemies as You do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, I probably won't buy Buzz Thomas's book, but I'm intrigued on several levels by the title: Ten Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But Can't Because He Needs the Job).

Anonymous said...

That's a great title though, probably help to sell the book for sure

SteveA said...

Thanks for reminding us about praying for our enemies.

Al said...

If it's good for America it must be good for the rest of the world, right? That seems to be the belief of many, if not most, Christians in the United States today. I do believe that God has blesed us here in the USA, but not to hoard for ourselves what he has given us. He has blessed us so that we can be a blessing to others. Hmmmn, I think I heard a preacher I know say that before!

It's funny that you would post this today, as Debbie and I went to a Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) concert last night and his message throughout was social justice, be kind to your enemies, take care of those who are in need, etc. Also, much of what I am reading lately (N.T. Wright, Shane Claiborne, Brian McLaren) all focus on the importance of being the light of Christ to the entire world. Great post, Mark!

Anonymous said...

Al,
You went to see Pink Floyd (or portion thereof) and didn't invite me? Where's the justice in that? All in all, it's just another brick in the wall. :-)

Al said...

"So ya, thought ya, might like to go to the show...."

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were into the Floyd. I would have invited you had I known, and had an extra ticket, etc. etc. It was a great show, 2 shows actually.

The first half was comprised of many of their songs from the Wall, Wish You Were Here, etc. A 15 minute intermission followed by The Dark Side of the Moon in it's entirety. And of course, the encore, Another Brick in the Wall and Comfortably Numb.

ftwskies said...

I think we should pray for our enemies, even as we work to prevent them from harming more innocents.

As for international politics, God continues to move the pieces around the board. You don't have to believe God favors America over other nations to believe that God continues to have some purpose for us:

Isaiah 45:1-6
"This is what the LORD says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut: I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name. For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me. I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you,
though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other."


-- Jim <><

preacherman said...

I believe we should leave it in the hand of God. How would the world respond if we turned the other cheek? How would the world view America? I do support our troops and thank that they are doing a great job. I just think we need to be striving for peace.
Thanks for your post.
Great thoughts and discussion.

Matt said...

Just ran into your blog. I will have a better look at it tomorrow. This is a bit off topic but I saw a bumper sticker lampooing the absurd amount of hatred toward Bush. It read "Bush hates Midgets"