Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Minor E-noyances
  1. Sweet, sappy, way-too-long, meant-to-be-inspirational forwarded emails that end with "if you don't forward this to 20 people, including the one who sent it to you, that proves you don't care."

  2. Calling a company, getting their automated phone system, which asks you to enter your sixteen digit account number followed by the pound sign, then your five-digit zip code, then the last four digits of your Social Security number, then when a human gets on the line, having him or her ask for all the same information.

  3. Automated phone systems that try too hard to sound human, especially ones that say, "You may say your response at any time; I don't mind being interrupted." It's a machine, for pity's sake! I prefer machines to sound like machines--monotone and metallic.

  4. People who forward jokes to me on email (most of which I've heard before and many of which I don't take time to read), then ask me three weeks later, "did you get that email I sent you?"

  5. When someone sends me a serious email, and I decide to wait to respond until I can collect my thoughts, then I forget all about it until the person asks, "did you get that email I sent you?" How embarrassing!

3 comments:

ftwskies said...

1. Amen and amen
2. Usually the human doesn't really want to (or doesn't have the authority to) help you, anyways. That's what gets me.
3. This is creepy to me. I guess I'm just paranoid, but we're making machines more human-like while simultaneously becoming more machine-like ourselves due to our heavy use of computers and electronics. The lines are getting blurred, imho.
4. Did you get that e-mail I sent to you? j/k...
5. Or when the person who sent you the serious email is the same person who usually sends you the jokes that you just delete, so you deleted their serious email without ever reading it... now that's embarassing!

--Jim <><

Anonymous said...

My mortgage company's voice response system is more rude than any real live "trained" customer service rep I have ever dealt with in my life. I complained once about it and the "live" person laughed and said that a lot of people say that too and the best thing is to stay silent because it freaks out and transfers you because it can't torment you.
Does that qualify for trying to sound too human????

Anonymous said...

Did you get the church bulletin one I sent you? LOL!